Maginifying glass

Search for your perfect Care Home.

Friendly, expert care is much closer than you think!

*Enter postcode or Care Home name

youcare. wecare. akaricare.

How much will I pay to stay in a care home?

Care Home fees are broken down into three different sections:

  • Personal care – provided by a carer (help with dressing, eating, bathing, mobility, etc.)
  • Nursing care – supervised by a qualified nurse
  • Accommodation – including food, heating and living costs.

How much you pay will depend on the care home that you have chosen, the length of your stay, the level of care you require, the size and location of your room and any chargeable extras you decide to pay for.

Do I qualify for financial assistance?

If you require financial assistance, your local authority will decide what level of care you require and look at your income and savings to determine whether you will need to make a contribution towards care home costs. This will vary slightly according to where you live in the UK.

Are there any other benefits I can claim?

You might be eligible for Attendance Allowance / Disabled Living Allowance (AA/DLA). These are both tax-free, non-means-tested weekly benefits. If you are paying for your own care, you are likely to be eligible for these benefits. If you are receiving funding from the local authority towards your care home costs, this might not be paid as it is effectively included in that funding.

You might also qualify for Pension Credit, this is means - tested, and designed to ensure a minimum guaranteed income for those with limited savings or additional private income.

Contact your local social services department for further information on how to claim these benefits

If I’m receiving financial assistance, do I still get to choose my care home?

Of course, the care home that you choose must be suitable for your needs and registered with either the Care Quality Commission (CQC) or Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW).

What happens if my savings run out?

When your savings fall below the upper limits set out by the government, you are likely to be able to qualify for financial assistance. You should contact your local social services department when your savings are approaching this limit, so they’ll know that they now need to help.

Guide to Choosing a Care Home

I am happy to be contacted.